Another Episode in the Travels of a Senior Citizen Golden Retriever and his Errant Humans

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Day 8- Bishop, CA

After a high excitement day like yesterday, a relatively calm day was welcome.  We did attempt one excursion in the morning that didn't pan out exactly like Don wanted, up to the hills above Bishop to see the Owens River Gorge, but that didn't last real long.  It seems that all the roads down into the gorge were closed by authority of the City of Los Angeles Water and Power Department, leaving one little spot where you could actually look down into the gorge and see the river.  It was at this location that I decided that I was tired of sitting in back of the seats; I wanted a seat of my own.  Unfortunately, the seat I wanted was Don's, and I really don't drive so well.  So, I was forced to return to my inferior position in the rear of the seats.  

Returning to the coach, I received my lunch, and they went out for theirs.  Geri gave me a full report on the dietary felony that Don committed at Jack's Restaurant and Bakery when they returned; he had ordered, and mostly consumed, a gigantic chicken-fried steak, two eggs, hash browns, and a biscuit with gravy.  His defense was that he was allowed a breakfast like this every two years, and he was way overdue.  Anyway, the late breakfast brought on a period of relaxation in the afternoon, Geri and I napping and Don noodling with the computer.  OK for a Sunday afternoon.

Later in the PM, Don proposed that they do a little shopping at some of the specialty food stores in Bishop, to which Geri agreed.  They weren't gone too long, and when they did come back, the only purchase they had made was a very small loaf of sourdough bread from Eric Schatt's Bakkery.  They had tried to score some smoked ham steaks from the Mahogany Smoked Meats outlet, but they were out of them, and nothing else seemed appealing.  I've heard someone say that you should never go grocery shopping when you're hungry; it looks like if you try it when you're stuffed, you don't wind up with much.

Needless to say, dinner was a no-show, except for my regular meal.  They're saying that tomorrow is rig cleaning day, so maybe we'll get back to normal, food-wise.  One can only hope.  See ya manyana!

Our Dog Walk Area

There's a river down there, somewhere

Oops!  Wrong seat!



No comments:

Post a Comment