Another Episode in the Travels of a Senior Citizen Golden Retriever and his Errant Humans

Friday, April 27, 2012


Day 12- Pahrump, NV

What a pain this is. Still not able to get access to the blog page, can’t upload anything. I can only hope that Don gets to the bottom of this problem soon. In the meantime, the blog must go on.

Travel day today. For our morning walk, Don took me in the truck up the road to a cluster of old buildings that Don says is an Air Force training facility left over from WWII. The County has taken it over for use as warehouses, and one building looks like it’s being used for offices. The weather was cold and windy, and the buildings provided some shelter from the wind for our walk, which was good. Don and I both like exploring places like this; I’m looking for new smells, and he’s looking at signs and other indications of what the buildings were originally used for. We did a complete circuit through the buildings, and just as we were heading for the truck, I investigated the space underneath a stairway; I was startled as a large, furry animal spurted out of the space, running like the wind. I was ready to give chase to it, but looked at Don first to get his approval. “Deeb, it’s a kitty!”, he said, “Don’t chase it!” I watched it disappear into the weeds next to the building, and realized that he was absolutely right; it was a large cat, and I am not one to terrorize cats in any way. Hey, I’ve got one of my own!

We got hooked up and underway a little before eleven, and headed down Highway 95. A half hour later we were rolling through Goldfield, which didn’t look any more prosperous today than it did yesterday. Geri gave me my lunch while we were rolling, and I went down for nap time. When I finally roused myself, we were rolling into our chosen RV Park in Pahrump, Terrible’s. We’ve been here before, and think it’s one of the nicest places we’ve ever stayed. It’s all grassy, and laid out surrounding a lake with fountains in it, populated by lots of very nice ducks. There’s lots of other dogs, and we met several during our evening walk. One was a Goldie, by name of Athena, who was a Mom Dog to a whole bunch of pups before her current human got her. She was very pretty, though she must have outweighed me by at least 30 pounds. We met another man who told us about his Goldie, named Maggie. He’s going to bring her by to meet me tomorrow!

Don cooked up some chicken saltimbocca for dinner, with some curried rice and veggies, which we all thought was excellent. My plates were delicious! They headed out for the local money machine place after dinner, and I was happy to take a post-prandial nap during their absence. When they returned, I noted that Don was again particularly jubilant, while Geri was a bit subdued. I can only attribute their attitudes to their experiences with the money machines. I think I’m pretty astute about these things. The rest of the evening was spent vainly trying to get internet access through all of the wonderful options available to us, all of them useless. Don is tearing his hair out, which was a limited commodity at best.

Hoping to make contact with you in the near future, I am your faithful BlogDog, DeeBee.  

No comments:

Post a Comment