Another Episode in the Travels of a Senior Citizen Golden Retriever and his Errant Humans

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Day 18- Las Vegas

I have to say that the day started out OK, with Don up early and tending to my needs.  It continued very nicely, with a ride to our park in the relative cool of the morning, and a very pleasant walk.  Our walk was highlighted by an encounter with a very nice young lady who arrived while we were engaged with a young Basset lady and her owner.  "I know that dog!" she exclaimed, and asked Don for my name, which he gave her.  "DeeBee, I haven't seen you for a year or so!" she said.  This was true, we first met her last year when we were on our way to the East Coast.  She didn't have a dog then, but she now has a very smart and well behaved little brown  dog who operates very nicely off-leash.  It was fun to see her again, and we walked with her and her dog  part way around the park.  Maybe we'll see her again before we leave!

Shortly after we got back to the coach, I was informed that we would be leaving soon for the local Petco, where I would be receiving a bath and grooming.  I had mixed emotions about this; for the past year or more, I've been groomed by Paula and Veronica at Bark Avenue, who are very loving and very free with their treats.  I had my doubts that the Petco people could measure up to their standards.  So, I was less than enthusiastic about this deal.  Sure enough, after Geri delivered me into their hands, I was dumped into a cage without even a hint of a treat, and stayed there until my number came up for bathing.  I must say that they were very thorough and capable in their bathing procedures and in trimming my paws.  But they have a store full of treats, and can't part with a single one of them.  I think it's shameful!  To cap it off, Geri and Don didn't show up to retrieve me until almost an hour after my treatment was completed.  They had some lame excuse about being all the way across town when Petco called them, but I suspect they might have been eating something they didn't want me to know about.  Don tried to pacify me by taking me on a tour of the store, but the place was absolutely pristine, with no spilled food on the floor for me to clean up.  What a drag!  We did buy a bag of my food, though, and I did get a couple of cookies when we checked out.  Helped a little, but not much.  

When we got back to the rig, I assumed that we would assume our normal routine of cooking dinner, watching TV, working on the blog, and having a regular evening at home.  Wrong!  It didn't take long for me to realize that they had something cooked up for tonight, as they were putting on their good clothes and  making ready to take off.  I did get my dinner early, and a few treats to mollify me, but I was still feeling a little let down.  I did need the opportunity to snooze, though, as the atmosphere at Petco had not been conducive to napping.  So, I took the opportunity to catch up with my sleep until they returned.  When they finally did show up, well after nine o'clock, they were happy to see that I was happy to see them, which my wagging tail gave away.  Geri told me that they had been to a musical show called "Jersey Boys", about a singing group from an ancient period long before I was even born.  They've been around a lot longer than I have, though, and have a better knowledge of ancient music.  They obviously enjoyed the performance greatly, so I guess I have to allow them some latitude to go to some places where where there is a perverse negative attitude concerning canines.  

So, Don and I crafted our blog entry, though he said it was a little painful for him to hear my complaints.  I got a few more treats, and we all turned in for the night.  Hope tomorrow is more to my liking.  May you all have a restful night!

A nice friend I met last year

No comments:

Post a Comment